Voodu – Pictures (single) (2022)
Publicist – Jon Asher – jon[@]ashermediarelations[.]com
Single Title: Pictures
Release Date: TBD
For fans of Linkin Park, Alice In Chains, Slipknot, Lamb of God
Facebook.com/vooduband | Youtube | Instagram.com/vooduband
“We believe it will appeal to a wide audience. We’re fortunate enough to have made fans out of the most dedicated of metalheads, as well as the “I don’t usually listen to heavy music” people and everyone in between. We hope that it’s something that resonates with people on a visceral level, in a way they haven’t heard before. Whether the intensity of the music provokes something primal in them, or they can relate to the lyrics and find catharsis, we’re just happy if it resonates. I like to add, that our first single is a very groove-oriented song. It starts on a thick bassline and builds up from there before exploding into the song’s main riff. It dynamically bounces between quieter verses and explosively loud choruses. No part of the song is identical to another. Every verse, chorus, and the bridge is different in one way or another. Lyrically, I wanted it to be relatable on both a personal and societal level. It has a double meaning in its intention, but I leave the lyrics vague enough to be interpreted in a number of ways subjectively by a listener. There’s no wrong way to interpret the lyrics despite it being written with clear intention on my part.” – Eddie Amico – Voodu
[Download Single Cover | Download Single Lyrics]
Single Title: Pictures
Release Date: Nov 3, 2022
1.) Pictures – (4:22)
Single Recording Credits:
• All songs performed by: Voodu
• All songs written by: Eddie Troy, Vinny Amico, Paul Burns, Ollie Williams, Sean Aikins.
• Produced by: Charlie Waymire
• Mixed by: Charlie Waymire
• Mastered by: Ernesto Homeyer
• Album Artwork by: Eddie Troy
• Member of ASCAP
Recording and Live Band Line Up:
Eddie Troy – Lead Vocals, Guitar, Keyboards, Samples, Programming, Synthesizers, Percussions
Vinny Amico – Guitar
Paul Burns – Drums, Backing Vocals
Sean Aikins – Bass Guitar
Ollie Williams – Turntables, Keyboards, Samples, Programming
Voodu is an American modern metal band from Los Angeles, California. Formed in 2021, the group formed amidst the chaos of the 2020 pandemic. The band consists of five members: Eddie Troy, Vinny Amico, Paul Burns, Ollie Williams, and Sean Aikins.
Voodu plays an aggressive style of music, blending elements from a wide range of metal and electronic subgenres, with attention-grabbing imagery through irreverent and visceral metaphors. They are known for their energetic and engaging live performances. They have managed to fill every venue they’ve played with loyal fans, prior to releasing a first single. The band considers themselves five equal parts of a whole, set out to subvert expectations, break the conventions of heavy music, and bring people together under the banner of raw visceral emotion.
BAND STORY ANGLES / FUN FACTS:
1. Every member of the band has a background in cinema in one way or another. The artistic direction of both music videos and the album art concepts come from a respect for both visual art, as well as the art of storytelling in narrative filmmaking.
2. The name Voodu came from Eddie listening to the song “Resurrection Man” by Lamb Of God. When he heard the lyric “Pure Voodoo economic doom”, he realized the metaphor Randy Blythe was using for Voodoo, in its “fuckery”, also related to the sound of the band. Voodoo, in itself, is a hybrid religion. It is a blend between the religious practices of the Fon people of West Africa, brought to America by Slavery, and the practices of Catholicism. The blending of religions drew parallels to the blending of genres within the sound of the band.
3. The band formed out of the confusion, hysteria, and “shutdown” of the world in the 2020 pandemic. The film industry being shut down, lead to a lack of acting and film construction work for Eddie. Vinny and his brother Jack moved down to LA from Seattle at the time. Ollie had no venues to DJ. Sean and Paul had nowhere to play in their other bands. So Paul decided along with his friend Erik to form a new band that would later become Voodu.
4. Despite not having a single out to date, and only being a band for a year, Voodu has packed The Whisky A Go Go three times now. They built a loyal local following through nothing more than playing live shows at small venues all across Los Angeles. Everywhere they have played they manage to bring out a large crowd and win over new fans who didn’t expect to see them that night. They’ve earned respect from both Non-Metal fans and the heaviest of Metal fans alike. They play and write under the philosophy that a really good song played with everything you have within you on that given night can transcend genre and speak to an audience on a visceral level.
5. The band recorded the guitar, drums, and bass for five songs over the course of two days with producer Charlie Waymire. All of the songs were recorded live, with every member of the band playing together in the room. This was done intentionally, as the band dislikes the overly “perfect” nature of most modern production. They wanted things like, “happy accidents”, idiosyncrasies in their playing, moments of slight imperfection but being played together and in sync to come across in the songs in a way that isn’t common in modern music as a whole, and especially isn’t common in music with an electronic influence/background.
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
No incoming links found yet.