BADGUYSWIN – Cowards (2020)
For fans of Higher Power, Nirvana, Queens Of The Stone Age, Clutch, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains
Album Title: Cowards
Release Date: April 10, 2020
Label: Waterlow Audio
“Another grunge-inspired stoner rock ‘n’ roll track now with BADGUYSWIN and their debut ‘Needle Beach’, combining Ozzy-like vocals with the kind of riffs you’d see Orange Goblin churning out through their career… quite the way to introduce themselves!” – Uber Rock UK
“Due out on April 10th, the guys are ready to unleash their debut full-length, Cowards, tailor-made to give you a different listening experience with each of the record’s twelve tracks. Grunge rock may be a distant spec in the musical rearview mirror, but it’s comforting to know that bands such as BADGUYSWIN are carrying on the tradition of that legendary era.” – V13
“BADGUYSWIN calls back to the Stoner Rock and Grunge sounds of their youth.” Ghost Cult Mag
““Honey Bucket” is the dark, rock single to set the tone for your weekend.” – New Noise Mag
“Cowards is chock full of sublime punked up riffs and harmonies such as “Fly On the Wall” as well as percussive masterpieces in “Lowlifer” and “Coal”. The lyrics speak out to the listener. For example, “Honey Bucket” is about alcoholism and addiction… Cowards provides a perfect feeling of leaves-you-wanting-more. Each song is constructed for maximum appeal with stunning fretwork, exemplary percussion and bass and vocals a bit on the higher range but certainly fitting. With Badguyswin, there is so much to rock out to here.” – Boston Rock Radio
“les nostalgiques de la lourdeur du Grunge 90’s de l’Ouest américain seront ravis de se mettre cet album en boucle ” – La Grosse Radio
1. Like A Sailor (4:36)
2. Lowlifer (3:13)
3. Honey Bucket (4:06)
4. Lying To Myself (3:30)
5. Between Hook And Hole (4:11)
6. Fly On The Wall (5:28)
7. Coal (4:32)
8. August 8th (3:54)
9. Needle Beach (2:54)
10. Legends Of The Wheel (4:19)
11. Under It All (3:31)
12. Central (5:29)
Album Length: 49:50
• All songs performed by: BADGUYSWIN
• All songs written by: Shane Sherman and BADGUYSWIN
• Produced by: Shane Sherman and Zak Waterlow
• Mixed by: Zak Waterlow
• Mastered by: Brock McFarlane
• Album Artwork by: Shane Sherman
• Canadian Content (MAPL)
Album Band Line Up:
Shane Sherman – Vocals, Lead Guitar
Zak Waterlow – Drums
Joe Northcott – Bass Guitar
Eddie Bitzan – Rhythm Guitar
Live Band Line Up:
Shane Sherman – Vocals, Guitar
Zak Waterlow – Drums
Alex Huber – Bass Guitar, Vocals
2020 – Cowards LP
Have shared stage with:
Red Fang, The Wild!, Buffalo Bud Buster, Belvadere, Invasives, The Highkicks, Ancient Engines, The Fallaways, Misha And The Spanks, Rocktoid, Hippiecritz, Strange Breed
Tours and Festivals:
2018 – Blizzard Fest – Rossland, BC
2018 – Okanagan Tattoo & Beer Fest – Kelowna, BC
2018 – Massif Fest – Nelson, BC
2019 – Pete’s Kegger – Christina Lake, BC
Nirvana and Soundgarden may be no more, but the members of Canada’s BADGUYSWIN are here to serve up your guilty pleasure for an era of rock n’ roll that’s knocking on doors and making its comeback. Heavy driven grunge-inspired loud amps, blended with clean vocals, plentiful harmonies and driving rhythms are what fuels this Grand Forks, BC band to keep things stuck in your head for days to come!
Featuring 3 out of 4 members from technical metal band Slagduster, BADGUYSWIN shows off their original roots in music, the grunge era of the 90s where they would glue themselves to the stereo for hours. The members of BADGUYSWIN also all grew up together in the same small town and have been playing music together in various ways for 15 years.
The band’s debut full length “Cowards” was written to give the listener an experience that doesn’t repeat itself over 12 tracks.
“Nearly one-hour long adventure ready to be enjoyed through you’re headphones in a beanbag chair or blasted from the speakers of your 93′ Honda Civic.” says vocalist/guitarist Shane Sherman.
The album is a heavy and hooky modern take on a classic sound with influences that are everything 90’s in grunge, stoner, alternative, and punk. It was conceived organically, performed and recorded DIY style at the home studio of drummer Zak Waterlow with mastering by Brock McFarlane of CPS studios in Vancouver. The album has a crisp and larger than life sound. With plenty of easter eggs that’ll have you searching for more from each listen.
Vocalist/guitarist Shane Sherman adds:
“We have worked tirelessly over the last year writing, tweaking and recording our first release and we’re just quivering with anticipation to share with the world our modern take on grunge rock. If you’ve been pining for a record that gives you raw and heavy tunes with harmony and hooks we have got you covered.
After years of writing complex and intricate music, members of Slagduster embrace their musical roots and write a rock record that defies decades. Taking a more minimalistic approach, we’ve dropped the screaming and puzzling time signatures to create a sound that beckons back to a time when songwriting was key.
With influences ranging from Soundgarden to Queens Of The Stone Age and everything else in between, we are ready to deliver to this newborn puppy of hard rock that even the coldest of plaid wearing hipsters can enjoy.
We have crafted a record that we hope listeners will enjoy from start to finish. Each song placed in an order we feel will truly take the passenger on a sonic personal journey.”
“Cowards” is set for release on April 10, 2020 and will be available on all digital platforms for stream and download along with physical CDs having limited edition artwork painted by Shane Sherman. Each song’s lyrical content revolves around a story and a main character. A painting was depicted for each persona.
Track by track explanation by the band:
1. Like A Sailor: Misleading intro, steady driving rock song with ambient Outro. About a person with a secret.
2. Low Lifer: Palindrome song structure. Lots of fast thumping tom action. Staccato guitar licks. Failing at bettering yourself in spite of trying.
3. Honey Bucket: Southern shuffle beat. Spanish style riffs within a bluesy feel. Highs and lows of an addiction.
5. Between Hook And Hole: Marching tempo, ethereal leads, big anthemic chorus. Desperate actions for desperate measures.
6. Fly On The Wall: Hardcore punk riff to start. Poly rhythm bridge and old-timey lead ending. Finally understanding someone’s true personality.
7. Coal: Percussive and heavy. Sing along chorus. Working hard for something and achieving nothing.
8. August 8th: Melodramatic ballad. Tracing all your problems to a specific origin.
9. Needle Beach: Southern swing driven by the bass and kick drum. A common place to indulge and wallow.
10. Legends Of The Wheel: Fast tempo punk feel. Incompetent people getting a pass.
11. Under It All: Dynamic hook oriented slow burner. Accepting what you have lost.
12. Central: Heavy and in your face. Pinnacle outro. An Exclamation! mark on the end of the album. Embracing and justifying living a cowardly lifestyle.