Asbestos Worker – Dead End Town (2020) (No List Records)
For fans of Hawks, Killdozer, Janitor Joe, Pissed Jeans, Shallow North Dakota
Publicist – Jon Asher – asher[@]ashermediareltaions[.]com
Album Title: Dead End Town
Release Date: January 23, 2020
Label: No List Records
Photo of Josh Stever taken by Josh Stever – Bass, Guitar, Drums and Vocals
Asbestos Worker is Josh Stever. Josh Stever is an asbestos worker. Josh Stever is on guitar, Josh Stever is on bass, Josh Stever is on drums, Josh Stever is on vocals. Josh Stever aka Asbestos Worker keeps his hits coming with the release of his first full length “Dead End Town” via No List Records.
With very little time out of his personal life and career, Asbestos Worker is a solo project created out of necessity. It’s aggressive unrelenting rock that was first debut in March 2019 with the EP “My New Vision – A manifesto on how to forcibly seize power and eradicate sadness across the globe”. Not wasting any time, in just under a year, his latest release, the full length “Dead End Town” was unleashed to kick off 2020. Asbestos Worker’s goal is to create a loud, thought-provoking and relatable noise rock experience. With influences from grindcore as well as punk and thrash, the madness is 11 tracks of muscular hate rock for everyone sick of something, the perfect soundtrack for getting laid off from the steel mill.
“Music has always been my therapist. So my songs have a never ending supply of things I have to get off my chest. Whether that be my own fears and insecurities and depression, or it could be the everyday irritations that we all face or the various social and political issues that might be pissing me off at the time. I guess you could say the world we live in is what inspires my lyrics and tunes. It’s also been a dream of mine to make a record since I was a kid and let’s face it, not many people ever realize their biggest dreams. And I was able to write the record all the music myself.”
When it comes time to doing live sets, the band consists of ⅔ of the band Tongue Party (Adam And Brandon Hile) on drums and guitar and Luke Gutting (former bassist for Tongue Party, current bassist for the band Cola Horse).
“Dead End Town” was released on January 23, 2020 and is available from No List Records.
Track by track explained by Asbestos Worker:
1. Over Analytical – This song was written at the end of one of the darkest times in my life. It was written on a night laying in bed unable to sleep because I was too busy thinking about the futility of life.
2. The Inconvenient Truth – The Inconvenient Truth is, in my opinion, that the majority of people have a lot to bitch about in this world. And those people are too lazy or lack the conviction to do anything about it.
3. Dead End Town – I live in east St. Paul, Minnesota. Which unfortunately is the greatest place in this state to live. In fact St. Paul sucks!
4. Defeatist – I wrote and dedicate this song to every nihilist troll who instead of doing anything useful with his life decides since there’s no point in this life he might as well make everyone else as miserable as possible.
5. Resting Bitch Face – I have one of those faces that if I’m not smiling I look like I want to murder someone. Even if I’m happy.
6. Thank You May I Have Another – Sometimes people stay in abusive relationships because they think they deserve it.
7. Burdened By Regrets – Also at the tail end of my darkest hour. I was as the title say Burdened By Regrets
8. Responsible Adult – I have 2 kids and know who I am and how the world perceived me. I really am amazed that I was allowed to have children.
9. Deadlock – I feel that at this point in history we as a species are deadlocked in a battle between ignorance and intelligence. All that’s at stake is our lives and our planet.
10. The Definition Of Asshole Is A Picture Of You – This one is dedicated to all the alt-right, neo-nazi assholes out there
11. Let’s Take This Outside – I work in construction and I was on a job last year where a guy who couldn’t punch his way out of a wet paper bag threatened to hit me with a small broom. All because I walked through an area He didn’t want me to but had forgotten to put up a barricade.
1. Josh Stever came up with the Asbestos Worker name because of his job. He’s a mechanical insulator by trade and the union is the heat and frost insulators and asbestos workers. He was trying to come up with something dark and ominous but everything else he came up with seemed contrived and cheesy.
2. This record and the EP before it were written and recorded between January – July. of last year. While also trying to teach himself how to play drums and how to record. And most of it was recorded while his daughter’s were sleeping in the room right above him. He uses 15 and 20-watt amps.
3. The main guitar riff for “The Definition Of Asshole Is A Picture Of You “was written 24 years ago when he was still in high school. He’s never forgotten it, but never got a chance to use it.
“Asbestos Worker is a one person band from Minneapolis, Minnesota who formed in 2018, from the looks of things. Asbestos Worker play an ugly and negative sounding style of music that incorporates elements of punk, metal, grunge, and noise rock within their sound. Musically, Asbestos Worker can be loosely compared to bands such as Flipper, Cuttthroats 9, Unsane, Melvins, and other like-minded bands. Since forming in 2018, Asbestos Worker has released a six song EP titled My New Vision-A Manifesto On How To Forcibly Seize Power And Eradicate Sadness Across The Globe in March of 2019. Dead End Town is Asbestos Worker’s latest LP, which was released on January 23rd, 2020. On Dead End Town, Asbestos Worker offers up eleven tracks of killer punk, metal, grunge, and noise rock. Overall, Dead End Town makes for an awesome listen and definitely should not be missed. Highly recommended! Enjoy!” – Dead Air At The Pulpit
“Asbestos Worker has returned with “Dead End Town”, 11 tracks of muscular hate rock for everyone sick of something. Driving like a jackhammer into your fucking teeth, tracks like “Deadlock” are as precise as Tar and hit like a bag of concrete dropped on your skull. The perfect soundtrack for getting laid off at the steel factory.” – Aaron Marko
“Asbestos Worker is a one person band from Minneapolis, Minnesota who formed in 2018, from the looks of things. Asbestos Worker play an ugly and negative sounding style of music that incorporates elements of punk, metal, grunge, and noise rock within their sound. Musically, Asbestos Worker can be loosely compared to bands such as Flipper, Cuttthroats 9, Unsane, Melvins, and other like-minded bands. My New Vision-A Manifesto On How To Forcibly Seize Power And Eradicate Sadness Across The Globe is Asbestos Worker’s debut EP, which was released on March 24th, 2019. On My New Vision-A Manifesto On How To Forcibly Seize Power And Eradicate Sadness Across The Globe, Asbestos Worker offer up six tracks of killer punk, metal, grunge, and noise rock. Overall, My New Vision-A Manifesto On How To Forcibly Seize Power And Eradicate Sadness Across The Globe makes for an awesome listen and definitely should not be missed. Highly recommended! Enjoy!” – Dead Air At The Pulpit (Review of 2019 debut EP)
Album Title: Dead End Town
Release Date: January 23, 2020
Label: No List Records
• All songs performed by: Josh Stever
• All songs written by: Josh Stever
• Produced by: Josh Stever
• Mixed by: Adam Tucker of Signaturetone Recording
• Mastered by: Adam Tucker of Sigaturetone Recording
• Album Artwork by: Artwork made and hand screen printed by Adam Hile
Asbestos Worker Recording Line Up:
Josh Stever on guitar
Josh Stever on bass
Josh Stever on drums
Josh Stever on vocals
Live Band Line Up:
Josh Stever – Guitar and Vocals
Adam Hile – Guitar
Brandon Hile – Drums
Luke Gutting – Bass
2020 – Dead End Town
2019 – My New Vision-A manifesto on how to forcibly seize power and eradicate sadness across the globe